Re: Development Speed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 09:00:22 +0200

> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 23:07:39 +0100 (CET)
> From: xenodasein@tutanota.de
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, eliz@gnu.org
>
> Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg02457.html
> From: Eli Zaretskii
>
> > Not -std=c17, -std=gnu17. We need some extensions, and cannot compile
> > with __STRICT_ANSI__ defined (which is what -std=c17 does, AFAIK).
>
> But we are also restricted to some subset dialect of it, not to break
> older settings, right?

Yes, we don't use stuff that would break C99 compilers.  We have
macros or conditionally-compiled code when newer features are
desirable, but not supported by older compilers.  However, the amount
of such conditional code is very small, as the new features are
generally not important for what we need to do in Emacs.  And those
new features are very few anyway, since C is stable and rarely if ever
changes in significant ways.