Re: HTML info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: HTML info
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 12:20:54 +0200

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 01:50:50 -0800
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,
>  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>  tsdh@gnu.org
>
> One thing I noticed is that the HTML Info files lack a nice top level menu.
> The HTML Top only has a (very) long TOC and a short TOC. The TOC's only
> include the node name and leave out the short description.
>
> I’m on a Mac which is case-insensitive, and my texinfo still have the bug
> where it drops index.html when merging Index.html and index.html. So I can’t
> test multi-file manual’s Top node (it’s in index.html). Besides that,
> single-file and multi-file seem to both work fine.

These (and some others) all are basic issues that should be addressed
by the Texinfo project, not by us.  Emacs cannot tell other GNU
projects how to produce their HTML docs, and we definitely cannot
provide the missing top-level menus and the corresponding install-info
capabilities of updating that menu when new manuals are installed.

I've written a message to the Texinfo list about this today, see

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2021-12/msg00150.html

We could work on the HTNL-doc viewing capabilities for Emacs, but we
cannot complete our work before the problems I mentioned there (and
probably others as well) are fixed, or at least we know how they will
be fixed.

Thanks.