Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 10:29:10 -0500

>> The effort spent on it should have both improved existing package.el
>> and also add straight.el like functionality to it.  Whether it is all
>> under feature 'package or multiple features.

100% agreed, but as you surely know it can be harder to do.
Integration is hard.

But the existence of `straight.el` shouldn't deter anyone from improving
`package.el`.  There's a proof of concept implementation of
"straight.el-like facilities via package.el" in the `elpa-admin.el` code
of (Non)GNU ELPA.

And indeed, that's how I install all my packages here.  It's quite
rough around the edges, tho.

> IIRC the whole concept of straight.el is based around pulling packages
> off individual authors' repositories.

Not really.  It's based on the idea of running your installed packages
straight from a Git clone that tracks upstream changes.

        Stefan