RE: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-w

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 16:44:36 +0000

> > You would have something like .emacs.d/init.el and .emacs.d/custom.el.
> > I don't think that looks obscure at all.
>
> Let's agree to differ on that. Why two? Why in an
> implicitly defined order?

Why two separate files?  That's what this whole
discussion is about: preventing Custom from
writing generated code to the same file where
you write code manually.

The "implicitly defined order" would be explicitly
defined (doc'd).  And it would only be the default.

Why should the default be to load your init file
before `custom-file'?  To give your handwritten
code priority.  In your code, you can load
`custom-file' at the outset, or at any other
place you like.

> Why not just one central config (which ideally does
> little itself) where the loading order of the others
> is explicit?

Your init file (and any code it loads) is the
one central place where you control when file
`custom-file' gets loaded, and that's done
explicitly.

> I do edit custom.el by hand, I've just to be
> aware that customize has to understand what I do there.

Nothing would prevent you from doing that.
That's similar to doing everything in init.el,
but at least it has the advantage of not
mixing `custom*' code with other code.