Re: copyright assignment

From: Guy Gastineau
Subject: Re: copyright assignment
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 08:44:38 -0500

Certainly ;) In the copyright assignment docs at https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html it says

> Copyright assignment is a simple process.
> Residents of some countries can do it entirely electronically.

Then in the next paragraph:

> Note that the disclaimer, like an assignment, involves you sending signed paperwork to the FSF ...

So "residents of SOME countries can do it electronically" and "involves sending SIGNED paperwork" are the literary bits by which I thought I'd need to sign the copyright assignment form with my PGP key.

Clearly assumptions on my part ran with that information, but my basic thought process was...
1. In some countries there must be precedent for digital identification and legal documents.
2. The only technology of which I am aware that we use for that purpose is signing files with PGP.
3. "... sending signed paperwork ..." must mean I should sign the assignment form with my key.

Clearly, it is a logical error on my part to take #2, an assumption, as fact.  Alas, as a human I think I am prone to this kind of falacy.  In light of these words, I hope the source of my confusion and the necessity for any literary refinement are clearer now, Dr Stallmann.  I appreciate your engagement.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022, 12:08 AM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > > I am a little confused.  It says we need to do it each time we submit work.  I assume this means, once we
  > > cumulatively reach >=15 lines of sloc we then retroactively give our copyright assignment to the work, but
  > > then we need to reassign the copyright holding to fsf for future contribution?

  > Yes.  But this is a one-time procedure, there's no need to assign the
  > copyright each time you submit a contribution.

Could a change in the wording make this clearer to new contributors?

  > > I have started putting my pgp key on some keyservers.  Can I send it to a gnu or fsf specific keyserver?
  > > Should I just export it and send that to you all here in the mailing list?
  > > I assume then I just need to sign a text document saying whatever legal magic we need with said pgp key
  > > and send it here?

Guy, could you tell us what led you to think there was something
you needed to do with GPG at the outset?  Was it anything we said?

Maybe we could make it clearer, if we knew exactly what/where it is.