Re: Text properties gone from edit menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Text properties gone from edit menu
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 16:48:50 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 21:47:20 +0800
>
> The removal of the M-o prefix for facemenu commands seems to have had an
> unintended side effect: the Text Properties submenu has disappeared from
> the Edit menu.

Just "Mix load-library RET facemenu RET", and it re-appears.

> Will anyone mind if I fix that?  And should I do that on the release
> branch, since it's a regression from 27.2?

What would that menu say?  All of its items aren't actionable until
facemenu is loaded.

This is not a regression, this is a deliberate removal of
functionality that was deemed not important enough.  It took us a lot
of heated discussions to get there, and I wouldn't want to restart
those discussions.

If you don't like the removal and its side effects, just add this to
your init file:

  (when (>= emacs-major-version 28)
    (require 'facemenu)
    (define-key global-map "\M-o" 'facemenu-keymap)
    (define-key facemenu-keymap "\es" 'center-line)
    (define-key facemenu-keymap "\eS" 'center-paragraph))

That's what I did.