Re: master 1555453694: Implement `alpha-background' on non-Cairo builds

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: master 1555453694: Implement `alpha-background' on non-Cairo builds
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 02:22:20 +0000

On Wed, Feb 02 2022, Jose A Ortega Ruiz wrote:

>> I missed this part.  It should work with the no-toolkit build, so could
>> you try that on a compositor that is known to work, such as GNOME Shell?
>
> sorry, i'm afraid i can't. i don't have gnome installed, nor want to
> have it :) and i don't even know if exwm (the emacs window manager,
> which is the only one with which alpha-background is not working) can
> run inside gnome shell.
>
> compton and picom work well with most non-desktop window managers
> (e.g. xmonad, or even exwm when not trying alpha-background), and in
> fact xmonad+picom+emacs with alpha-background work well too, so i think
> that picom is a compositor "that is known to work".

i forgot to add that, when built with no-toolkit and without any alpha
or alpha-background spec, there's another new problem with exwm.  exwm
has a "system tray" where it puts applets like nm-applet.  before the
last changes to support alpha-background in non-gtk builds, exwm's
system tray had been working for me flawlessly.  now it doesn't work at
all (the icons don't show up in the tray area, and new, empty buffers
are created instead).

when compiling with the lucid toolkit there's no such problem, and tray
icons in exwm still work well.

maybe this has nothing to do with alpha-background, but started at the
same time it was implemented for non-gtk toolkits.

thanks,
jao
--
ā€œIā€™m all these words, all these strangers, this dust of words, with no
ground for their setting, no sky for their dispersing.ā€