recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard

From: Noah Friedman
Subject: recent change to yanking behavior of the clipboard
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 19:39:44 -0800 (PST)

This change in master:

        2022-02-01 10:13:15 +0800  Po Lu  <luangruo@yahoo.com>  99c637499e

          Only apply last change to the clipboard

          * lisp/select.el (gui--selection-value-internal): Only return
          nil if we own the clipboard.

Means that yanking never pastes the clipboard if I've programmatically set
the clipboard selection (which I do for both emacs and the sake of other
program windows that use it)

But, curiously, you didn't make this change for the primary selection.

That means when I yank, I don't get the thing I've most recently copied to
the clipboard.  I get some old thing from the primary selection.

I don't understand how this new behavior is meant to be useful.  It's
broken, and I am not exaggerating, somewhere around 30 years of muscle
reflexes.

Please revert this.

Not every item that goes to the clipboard comes from a buffer kill or copy
action.  Not everything emacs "owns" is already in the kill-ring.