Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak thro

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak through Emacs, or can Emacs detect it?
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 12:29:32 +0100

On Sat 05 Feb 2022 at 23:16, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>   > setfont /usr/share/consolefonts/Lat2-Terminus24x12.psf.gz
>
> Would that alter the settings?

yes

but only per console and only temporarily (does not persist on reboot)

In case you want to persist it, the sed command I provided might do that
on your distro.

> I don't want to do that!
> I want to find out how it IS set, not change it.

I am not aware of a "getfont" thing.

It seems to be dependent on things like on distro.  That is why I
provided related hints on where to find the configuration and also a
distro independent way of setting it (so that one knows what the font
is).  If you do not want to change it, you have to look into your distro
specific configuration.

ls /usr/share/consolefonts/

might give you a list of fonts to choose from (it does not on my
distro).

grep FONT /etc/default/console-setup

might give you info about the default font configuration (it does not on
my distro)

> Here's what I have in /etc/default/console-setup
>
>     # FONT='lat9w-08.psf.gz brl-8x8.psf'
>     # FONT_MAP=/usr/share/consoletrans/lat9u.uni
>
> Can you explain what they mean?

I am not an expert on this, just a user, so I'll try to guess:

- There are two fonts used.
  I did not know it was possible and I do not know how this works.
- There is a file describing the supported characters.
  Maybe this map tells the console which characters to take from which
  font?
  iirc the console supports up to 256 characters.
- latin9 seems to be the character set in the first font.
- The fonts are very small.  You still have very good eyes:-)

I have one font only and no map file.  My font seems to be for latin2.
Interestingly, my native language should be covered by latin2 but still,
some accented characters are displayed properly but some as boxes.