Re: [External] : emacs-28 windows binaries available from alpha

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: [External] : emacs-28 windows binaries available from alpha
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 18:34:22 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>> Cc: dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de, corwin@bru.st, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:36:10 +0000
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > Fine with me, please install on the release branch.  But please add
>> > there a comment explaining why we do this, and mention that it's for
>> > MS-Windows (you can take the text from the comment I wrote for my
>> > comp.c patch, which will now not be needed).
>>
>> Done with 202d3be873.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> PS I tried to merge emacs-28 into master using gitmerge.el as suggested
>> in git-workflow as I suspected a conflict there that I wanted to solve
>> myself, but it says "nothing to merge".  Not sure if I'm doing something
>> wrong.
>
> I merged that change, but for the future: what exactly did you do, and
> in particular did you remember to switch to the master branch and do a
> "git pull" in master, before invoking "gitmerge"?

I did what's described in git-workflow, so yes I had master checked out
and I pulled before trying.  The only difference is that haven't started
a fresh emacs but loaded gitmerge.el in my current session.  Next time
I'll try with a fresh session and maybe with -Q.

Anyway I was thinking if it wouldn't be correct to emit also a warning
if libgccjit is not available.  This condition could prevent some
package to work as expected (ex evil-mode IIRC) so might be worth to
inform the user that and emacs compiled with native-comp is being run
without libgccjit being available.

In case we decide is worth if we agree on the message I'll be happy to
prepare the patch.

Best Regards

  Andrea