Re: Comments on setopt

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Comments on setopt
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 17:17:29 +0000

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> - As `customize-set-variable' is being used directly, the "user" theme
>>   is modified, and a customisation might be mirrored in
>>   `custom-set-variables'.  This can lead to the unfortunate situation
>>   where your setopt configuration is overriden by the
>>   `custom-set-variables', depending on when and how you load `custom-file'
>>   and when and how the `custom-set-variables' was generated.
>
> Isn't that the case no matter how these variables are set?  It depends
> on the order.

Well yes, but the issue can still be confusing and isn't obvious to
solve at first.  Just recently I had a similar issue where
smtpmail-smtp-service was set to 25, despite my configuration setting
int to 587, even after restarting Emacs.  The reason was that in my
custom-file, it was reverted to 25 (for some reason), and of course,
just deleting the line isn't enough, as it might be re-genereted again.
I can deal with this, but I also recognise the potential for confusion.

--
        Philip Kaludercic