Re: Comments on setopt

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Comments on setopt
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 08:23:25 -0500

> over using `customize-set-variable' directly (indeed, I believe the
> verbosity of the name `customize-set-variable' is a significant reason
> why many people prefer to use `setq' for everything, even when they
> know that user options can have setters).

Hmm... I'm not sure I understand the motivation behind the introduction
of `setopt`, to be honest.  As pointed out, `setopt` should probably not
be used at top-level in a `.emacs` because Custom will think this was
set via `customize-set-variables` and will save that setting back into
`custom-file` next time we ask to save the customized variables.

As a general rule, it should also be avoided by packages because
packages shouldn't change user options behind the user's back.

So the remaining places where it makes sense to use it are fairly
rare, AFAICT.

Am I missing something?

        Stefan