Re: About zcomplete

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: About zcomplete
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 10:35:28 +0000

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 11:11:00AM +0000, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>
>>When completion-auto-select was first added, there was a discussion
>>about adding automatic narrowing in the *Completions* buffer.  Given a
>>mode like zcomplete, that decides to unbind all single-character
>>bindings, this might be possible (as an alternative to what you do in
>>zcomplete--try-on-minibuffer).
>>
>>Whether or not this should be coupled to removing the mode line of the
>>completion buffer is a different question.
>
> Actually a more `urgent` thing in my opinion may be to allow
> *Completions* to update without needing to narrow first. Then I could
> add a post-command-hook in the minibuffer to update *Completions* when
> it is visible.

I am not certain what you mean here?  Just to clarify, what I am
imagining is a isearch-like interface that updates the prompt and the
*Completions* buffer.

> With that we only need a highlight and the zsh experience may be almost
> done with minimal changes.

I am unfamiliar with zsh, how does it differ from say bash?

>>This should probably be reverted when zcomplete-mode is disabled.
>
> Agree. But we need to cache the original value tho... I have been
> thinking to implement a general solution for that issue similar to
> connection-local-variables, because it is a general issue many packages
> need to deal with.

I guess this is only of the issue that is so easy to solve on a
case-by-case basis (e.g. by setting a symbol property) that nobody has
bothered to write a general solution (e.g. by adding a keyword to
define-minor-mode that specifies what variables/user options to set when
enabled).

--
        Philip Kaludercic