Re: Fix width tabs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Fix width tabs
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 19:18:35 +0200

> I tried the following (not trying to dynamically compute the tabs width
> to start with and disabling support for close buttons):
>
> (defun my-tab-bar-tab-name-format (tab i)
>   (propertize
>    (truncate-string-to-width
>     (format
>      (concat "%-" (number-to-string tab-bar-tab-name-truncated-max) "s")
>      (alist-get 'name tab))
>     tab-bar-tab-name-truncated-max 0 ?m t)
>    'face (funcall tab-bar-tab-face-function tab)))
>
> (setq tab-bar-tab-name-format-function 'my-tab-bar-tab-name-format)
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't play well with variable pitch font, and the
> display property "min-width" isn't honored in tab-bar. I guess my naive
> approach won't be sufficient...

I don't remember if we already have pixel-level space padding for
variable pitch fonts.  Probably not, because variable pitch fonts
can't be used on the mode-line where the problem is that the
coding-system indicator can't take the fixed amount of space.
One of the threads where this was recently discussed:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-06/msg00343.html