Re: sorting in C

From: Andrew Cohen
Subject: Re: sorting in C
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:12:45 +0800

    YK> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 at 19:58, Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk> wrote:
    >> Err, no? I have it all working but I'm using a C version of
    >> TIMSORT from the web. I don't think the license is acceptable so
    >> it probably needs to be written from scratch.  Shouldn't be that
    >> difficult (the algorithm itself is well-documented) but I'm not
    >> sure how much time I have to finish it.

    YK> Python’s license has been GPL-compatible for a long time[1], and
    YK> Python has an implementation of timsort — in fact, Wikipedia
    YK> says timsort was developed *for* Python[2]. Could probably crib
    YK> that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I started with the python code (which is
where I learned about timsort in the first place :)). The description of
the algorithm is excellent, but the actual code is pretty specific to
the python case. But it is still a very useful guide.

I don't want to make a big deal of it---it shouldn't be too hard to
write an unencumbered implementation.
--
Andrew Cohen