Re: [ELPA] Package cleanup

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package cleanup
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 00:07:15 -0400

  > >There are many questions we'd want to check
  > >to decide what to do with each package.
  > >
  > But if they don't receive any update for years,

That's the case that was brought up.

                                                    and the bug reports
  > accumulate

That wasn't mentioned before.  It makes a difference.  Depending on
what those bugs do, we might delete (or obsolete) the package -- but
not automatically and rigidly.

Another option would be to ask users to tell us what they think of the
package.

               (on github too)

How does that make a difference?

We don't use Github.  We won't ask anyone to make an account there,
since doing so requires running their nonfree software.

Supposing we find someone to fix bugs in the package, we can't fix
them on github.  We could change the GNU ELPA version to direct people
clearly to report bugs to us, so we can fix them.