[ELPA] Add lin package

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: [ELPA] Add lin package
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 07:46:05 +0300

Hello everyone,

This is a retry of an attempt I made a few months ago to add 'lin' to
elpa.git.[1] Please see the attached patch.  Quote from the manual on
what this is supposed to do:

    Lin is a stylistic enhancement for Emacs' built-in 'hl-line-mode'.  It
    remaps the 'hl-line' face (or equivalent) buffer-locally to a style that
    is optimal for major modes where line selection is the primary mode of
    interaction.

    The idea is that 'hl-line-mode' cannot work equally well for contexts
    with competing priorities: (i) line selection, or (ii) simple line
    highlight.  In the former case, the current line needs to be made
    prominent because it carries a specific meaning of some significance in
    the given context: the user has to select a line.  Whereas in the latter
    case, the primary mode of interaction does not revolve around the line
    highlight itself: it may be because the focus is on editing text or
    reading through the buffer's contents, so the current line highlight is
    more of a reminder of the point's location on the vertical axis.

    'lin-mode' enables 'hl-line-mode' in the current buffer and remaps
    the appropriate face to the 'lin-face'.  The 'lin-global-mode'
    follows the same principle, though it applies to all hooks specified
    in the user option 'lin-mode-hooks'.

Put concretely, I want hl-line-mode to use a subtle gray when I edit
text and a vivid blue colour when I select a line.

Now why this is a "retry"...  When I first developed lin, it was only
remapping the hl-line-face.  There was no minor mode setup and no
automatic activation of hl-line-mode.  I thus received feedback to turn
it into a patch for hl-line.el instead of distributing it as a package.
I tried but failed to make it good enough for inclusion.[2][3]

I have now made lin useful out-of-the-box: it is easy to enable and set
up for the desired modes.

What do you think?  Can this live as its own package on GNU ELPA or
should it still be written as a patch for hl-line.el?

[ I will prepare a new release later today. ]

All the best,
Protesilaos (or simply "Prot")

[1] <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-11/msg00442.html>
[2] <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-11/msg00819.html>