Re: Trouble with make creating Emacs 28.1 Windows binary dist

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trouble with make creating Emacs 28.1 Windows binary dist
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 14:26:56 +0300

> From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
> Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 23:39:51 -0500
>
> git fetch --all --tags
> git checkout tags/emacs-28.1 -b emacs-28.1
> ./configure --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
> --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2

Why are you building the Git branch instead of building the release
tarball?  Building from Git takes much more time, for starters, and
technically you don't build the same sources as the ones released.

> All of which appear to work fine.  Then I perform the build as such:
>
> make -j 20 install-strip prefix=${HOME}/emacs-build/install/emacs-28.1
>
> That failed.  FTR, had this worked I would have done this:
> cd ~/emacs-build/install/emacs-28.1
> zip -r -9 ~/emacs-upload/emacs-28.1-no-deps.zip
> unzip -d bin ~/emacs-build/deps/emacs-28-deps.zip
> zip -r -9 ~/emacs-upload/emacs-28.1-no-deps.zip
>
> And then I would build the executable installer, after which I would
> be ready to sign and upload to the GNU FTP site.
>
> Here is the first of the errors that appear to stop things.  There are
> several of these, all quite similar:
>
>   ELC      cedet/ede/pconf.elc
> >>Error occurred processing cedet/ede.el: File error (("Renaming" "Permission
> >>denied"
> >>"c:/Users/corwi/emacs-build/git/emacs-28.1/lisp/cedet/ede.elc3EEf9c"
> >>"c:/Users/corwi/emacs-build/git/emacs-28.1/lisp/cedet/ede.elc"))
>   ELC      cedet/ede/pmake.elc

My guess would be that building and installing in one go, and with
such a high parallelism at that, causes some conflicts, whereby two
programs access the same file together, and one of them attempts to
rename/remove the file.

My suggestion is first build with "make -j20 ..." and then install
with "make install-strip".  The latter doesn't need such high
parallelism anyway, since it basically processes stuff serially.