Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lis

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 3b41141708: Expose the name of an event's input device to Lisp
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:08:40 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Can we make a step back and discuss why do we need this information in
> Emacs, and how it is supposed to be used?

I thought it was described in the commit message: different devices can
generate the same events, but commands (such as pixel-scroll-precision)
might want to act differently depending on the device that generated it.

(I'm still getting the device detection right, though it already works
for most hardware: on X, the only way to find out the "device class" of
a device is to look at its name.)

There are use cases other than precision pixel scrolling as well.  For
example, different keyboards could be configured to behave differently,
which is useful for people who have multiple keyboards lying around.

Tetris might also want to treat mouse movement from a joystick
differently from that of an ordinary pointing device.