Re: compile on MacOS, Install and config information is a bit confusing

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: compile on MacOS, Install and config information is a bit confusing
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 09:23:49 +0200

>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
>> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 08:27:09 +0200
>>
>> Reading the INSTALL file in the nexstep directory I find
>>

>> ,----
>> |   ./configure --with-ns
>> `----
>>
>> However when I run this option, I obtain a warning
>> (I have seen in GNU/Linux)
>>
>> ,----
>> | WARNING: This configuration installs a 'movemail' program
>> |
>> | that does not retrieve POP3 email.  By default, Emacs 25 and earlier
>> |
>> | installed a 'movemail' program that retrieved POP3 email via only
>> |
>> | insecure channels, a practice that is no longer recommended but that
>> |
>> | you can continue to support by using './configure --with-pop'.
>> |
>> | configure: You might want to install GNU Mailutils
>> |
>> | <https://mailutils.org> and use './configure --with-mailutils'.
>> `----
>>
>> Isn't this a  bit confusing.

> Why is it confusing?  What is unclear about that warning?

This part is *not* confusing, what is confusing that this option is
*not* mentioned in the INSTALL file in the nextstep directory.

It is not coherent, to recommend to use

  ./configure --with-ns

And then let a message tell you to use a different option

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.