Re: 28.1: errors about missing git executable

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 28.1: errors about missing git executable
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 10:09:54 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:57:56 +0200
>
> While building 28.1 from the source tar package I see lots of mentions
> to missing git:
>
>     ELN  ../../emacs-28.1/lisp/tooltip.eln
>     ELN  ../../emacs-28.1/lisp/uniquify.eln
>   Error: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory"
> "git")
>   Error: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such file or directory"
> "git")

>   Waiting for git...
>   Error running git rev-parse: (file-missing "Searching for program" "No such
> file or directory" "git")
>   Waiting for git...
>   Error running git rev-parse --abbrev-ref: (file-missing "Searching for
> program" "No such file or directory" "git")
>   Finding pointers to doc strings...
>
> The build goes along, but I wonder why those messages are shown and if
> they have an effect on the build products.

The last two messages (about git rev-parse) are harmless (they are
inside ignore-errors), but those emitted by ELN are not expected, I
think.  A Lisp backtrace for those errors should be useful.

Actually, a full-fledged bug report with all the details, including
how you configured the build, would be appreciated.