RE: [External] : Re: Intelligent stacking of messages in the echo area

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Intelligent stacking of messages in the echo area
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 20:53:00 +0000

> We still have unsolved bug#40774.  Maybe it could be fixed now.
> Or maybe better to create a new report.

40774 isn't a bug, AFAICT.  It's an enhancement
request.  And if ever there was a bug thread
that runs in circles and isn't clear, this is it.
Eli's posts there are clear, IMO, but not the
thread overall.

If there really is a need for some enhancement
that's related to the request, it should be
thought through again, IMO -- and not starting
from an assumption that (ab)using the echo area
is the right way to begin.

There are presumably many other way to "solve"
the (unclear) problem.  Among them are probably
various ways to _view_ the *Messages* log,
showing only what the OP wants to see, or
perhaps highlighting it.

Use the content of *Messages* - view/display
parts of it that might be particularly relevant
in different contexts.  Leave the echo area out
of it.

(And no, I'm not proposing any such solution.
My comment is only that the "problem" is not
clearly specified, and likewise the "stack
messages in the echo area" solution for it.)