Re: MacOS signing

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: MacOS signing
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:24:23 +0200

>>> "AT" == Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 11:23:32PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>>
>> > It might be worth trying Jim's builds from
>> > https://github.com/jimeh/emacs-builds, as I understand it they're
>> > signed and so on, which might avoid some problems with running it.
>>
>> Would some Mac expert please explain to me (off the list) what's
>> going on here?

> I'm not really up-to-date with the ins and outs of macOS's security
> model, but as I understand it macOS expects applications to be
> "signed" by some developer certificate provided by Apple.

> This has never affected me because I always build my own Emacs and, at
> least on the ancient version of macOS I'm running, self-built
> applications are exempt from this.

> There is some way to work around it. It used to be that you just had
> to click through a security warning the first time the application
> ran, but I think it's more complex now.

> The reason I suggested the OP try Jim Myrhberg's builds over the
> emacsformacosx.com ones is that not only are Jim's signed, but the
> latter use a script to select and execute the Emacs binary, and that
> seems to cause further trouble with the macOS security model.

> Perhaps someone who actually uses macOS can explain this better.

Which version of MacOS is this? I am using, partially, 10.15 and still
can build my own Emacs. I have not upgraded MacOS to newer versions,
since fink still has problems, but if it is true that MacOS follows suit
iOS policy, as RMS suggests, and jails non signed software, I have a
reason more *not* to upgrade.

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.