Re: New optional Eshell module: em-elecslash

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New optional Eshell module: em-elecslash
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:19:36 +0300

> From: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>
> Cc: philipk@posteo.net
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:36:53 -0700
>
> Here is my revised patch.

Much better, thanks.  A few comments below.

> +To help with supplying absolute file name arguments to remote
> +commands, you can add the @code{eshell-elecslash} module to
> +@code{eshell-modules-list}.  Then, typing @kbd{/} as the first
> +character of a command line argument will automatically insert the
> +Tramp prefix @file{/method:host:}.  If this is not what you want
> +(e.g.@: because you want to refer to a local file) you can type
                                                     ^
A comma is missing there.

> +                                  A limitation of the current
> +implementation is that only the status as Lisp function or external
> +program of the command at the very beginning of input can be
> +considered.

This sentence is unnecessarily hard to grasp.  Note the passive tense
and the fact that the important part is at the end, which are usually
clear signs of sub-optimal wording.  Please try to reword it, e.g. by
swapping the first and the second parts.

> -@item Make @kbd{/} electric
> +@item Make @kbd{/} more electric
>
> -So that it automatically expands and corrects pathnames.  Or make
> -pathname completion for Pcomplete auto-expand @samp{/u/i/std@key{TAB}} to
> +So that it automatically expands and corrects pathnames, beyond what
> +the @code{em-elecslash} module is able to do.  Or make pathname
> +completion for Pcomplete auto-expand @samp{/u/i/std@key{TAB}} to

This last paragraph needs a @noindent and should start with a
lower-case letter, because it is a continuation of the previous
sentence.  Also, it uses "pathname(s)" where it should use "file
name(s)".

> +*** New module to help supplying absolute file names to remote commands.
> +After enabling the new module, typing a forward slash as the first
> +character of a command line argument will automatically insert the
> +Tramp prefix.  The automatic insertion applies only when
> +'default-directory' is remote and the command is a Lisp function.
> +This frees you from having to keep track of whether commands are Lisp
> +function or external when supplying absolute file name arguments.  See
> +"Electric forward slash" in the Eshell manual.

This NEWS entry should name the module, I think.