Re: Possible problem with compile

From: Immanuel Litzroth
Subject: Re: Possible problem with compile
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:55:52 +0200

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 2:18 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Immanuel Litzroth [2022-04-21 12:06:42] wrote:
> > This triggers a problem
> > (compile '(error "you have a problem"))
> > ;; here compile-command is (error "you have a problem")
> > ;; and the next compilation(s) will eval that so they fail
> > (compile "ls")
>
> When it hurts don't do that?
> Why would you pass that kind of argument to `compile`?
It was a programming error in some code I was writing where
I forgot evaluating in a backquoted list.

> Maybe you should
> describe the more general setting in which you bumped into this problem?
I don't think it matters that much. I just think that behaviour could
be improved,
seeing that other people might run into it and I was quite confused as to why
it wouldn't compile anymore even though I fixed my bug.
It's still not clear to me why you would want to eval there?
Immanuel

--
-- A man must either resolve to point out nothing new or to become a
slave to defend it. -- Sir Isaac Newton