Substantially higher RAM consumption since 2 weeks ago

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Substantially higher RAM consumption since 2 weeks ago
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:11:33 +0100

Hi,

I use emacs master compiled regularly (every couple of days or so), in
X11 with no-toolkit, in a debian sid box.  I use it for long stretches
of time and with lots of packages, so its memory footprint is not low.

Up to two weeks ago or so, my emacs process would typically have an RSS
of around 600-800Mb after a couple of days of continous use.  Starting
around that time, without having changed my usage patterns, memory
consumption is regularly around 5 times higher: for instance, right now
my emacs uptime is 2 days and its RSS is 3Gb.  I've also noticed that
while previously memory would peak relatively quickly (in a few hours)
to those 800Mb, and stay around there for days of countinuous use, with
more recent emacs RSS just keeps increasing, a Gb a day or so.

Obvious things like invoking gcs or clearing image caches don't help, so
i am not sure where that additional RAM is going.  Unfortunately, i
don't have the bandwidth right now to investigate further in detail, but
i thought of mentioning this in case someone else is seeing it too, or
raises a flag or suspicion for some of the recent committers' crystal
balls.  I'd be of course happy to provide more information or check
simple things, within my limited time, if you have any ideas.

Many thanks,
jao
--
"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers by
the sense of accomplishment you get from getting them to work at all."