Re: tab-bar-mode new tab hook?

From: Aaron Jensen
Subject: Re: tab-bar-mode new tab hook?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 23:27:01 -0400

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 11:45 AM Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> wrote:

> > I've been experimenting using tabspaces
> > (https://github.com/mclear-tools/tabspaces) to enable each tab to have
> > its own isolated buffer list. It provides a command,
> > tabspaces-create-workspace that invokes tab-bar-new-tab and then sets
> > frame parameters to isolate the buffer list space.
> >
> > I was curious if there has been any thought given to including a hook
> > for when a new tab is created. This way, I could just add a hook to do
> > this and not have to use a separate command (and replace all the other
> > commands that use tab-bar-new-tab). I could use advice, but that seems
> > like a last resort.
>
> You can provide own custom function for tab-bar-new-tab-choice.
> Then you can set an initial buffer list in it, and even to display
> this buffer list as the default contents of the new tab.

This function seems like it is meant to just return the buffer to
display in the new tab. It also seem like it is called before the new
tab is actually created. I haven't tried it yet, but I would think
that would mean that any modification of frame parameters in that
function would apply to the previous tab, rather than the about to be
created tab.

> > Alternatively (or in addition) is the behavior to isolate buffer lists
> > in tabs one that would make sense for Emacs to support out-of-the-box?
>
> There is already project-based buffer isolation that works nicely
> with tabs, so in a new tab you can set a tab group name, and just
> use project buffer commands: 'C-x p b' (project-switch-to-buffer),
> 'C-x p k' (project-kill-buffers), etc.  Switching to a project buffer
> in a new tab is also supported with 'C-x t p b'.

Yes, I used that before, but I like to be able to bring buffers in
from other projects and have them in my buffer list. Sort of reference
files from one project to another, so it is nice for them to actually
have their own buffer lists entirely that is not limited to those in
the project.

Thanks,

Aaron