Re: Unifying code for drawing on a cairo context

From: Pfrommer, Julius
Subject: Re: Unifying code for drawing on a cairo context
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 11:07:31 +0200

Not to mention that Cairo is in effect unmaintained, and using it is
discouraged in new software, so I wouldn't count on it being present
forever, much less design code around the assumption that we will always
keep using Cairo.

Cairo is not unmaintained. There were a couple hundred commits from
various developers since the beginning of this year.

https://github.com/freedesktop/cairo/graphs/contributors?from=2021-04-02&to=2022-04-29&type=c

There will be no benefit to this at all.  We only recently introduced a
second platform where Cairo drawing is used [...]

Case in point. For GTK and PGTK, developers need different setups (using
X vs. using Wayland) and the similar code-paths for drawing on cairo_t
started to diverge and continues to diverge.

Quoting Eli:
In general, I don't think we'd object to having such Cairo-specific
code in one place.  However, having GUI code common to all the GUI
backends in one place is more important,

It appears that increasing the amount of code-sharing between platforms
is a goal for Emacs overall.

I understand that "developer freedom" to work on platforms independently
is important to some. Hopefully that freedom can be retained even when
the level of code-sharing across some platforms is increased.

Let's not jump to premature conclusions but see how the first
experiments for Cairo pan out.