Re: master 91418d27e9: Add new functions for computing character metrics

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 91418d27e9: Add new functions for computing character metrics for windows
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 16:48:46 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  malsburg@posteo.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:33:58 -0400
>
> But admittedly, in most cases you can use
> `window-max-characters-per-line only` as a heuristic because of the
> effect of proportional fonts

What else can you do when proportional fonts are used, except account
fro the average width?

> compositions

Irrelevant.  The function says how many character cells are available
for displaying text, not how many codepoints can be squeezed there.

> and faces

The function accepts FACE as the argument.  So this is accounted for.

(And I wonder why this sudden crusade against this function.)