Re: master e8488bcc9c: Avoid having font locking triggering unnecessary

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master e8488bcc9c: Avoid having font locking triggering unnecessary auto-saving
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 18:49:46 +0200

> BTW, I wonder if the auto-save mechanism should use the CHARS_MODIFF
> ticks instead?

Some modes may legitimately want to count non-character changes as
something that should trigger auto-save (I'm thinking of rich text modes
where you apply a bold face to the text to signal that it should write
out <bold>).

So I think leaving this up to the modes (which is what we basically
(tried to) do with with-silent-modifications) is the right thing.
Probably.  But I guess we could have a use-modiff-instead-of-char-modiff
for these modes (there aren't very many).

But as Eli says, it's difficult to say what the repercussions might be
to code out there, and we certainly don't want anybody to lose any text,
so leaving it as is is probably best.