Local dot emacs files.

From: निरंजन
Subject: Local dot emacs files.
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:42:25 +0000

Hello hackers,

I am quite a new user of GNU-Emacs, but even while using this fantastic
tool-for-life for such a short span I have felt a need for a feature
which I pretty much see in various other free software, i.e., local
configuration files. I will elaborate.

For example while using git, I can have local .gitconfig files which
have different configurations per directory, but I can have in the home
directory with the default settings. I wanted to ask if it is possible
to implement such a feature for GNU-Emacs which will enable the user to
have different settings in different directories (including all the
sub-directories which don't override that setting), e.g., In a structure
like:

.
├── abcd
│   └── pqrs
│   └── .emacs # Applies to pqrs/ only
├── efgh
└── .emacs # Applies to abcd/ and efgh/

I would love to see a feature which will make GNU-Emacs buffers follow
the respective .emacs files like demonstrated in the comments and all
files outside abcd/ using the default .emacs (found at ~/).

This might be particularly helpful for dividing the workflow, e.g., I
might have different directories, for say, latex/, lisp/, c/, text/
which have different settings.

Is this achievable?

Best,
निरंजन