Replacing spec of display text property uses wrong when set as before-st

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Replacing spec of display text property uses wrong when set as before-string or after-string property of an overlay
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 20:37:04 +0600

Here is an example code:

------------
(let ((txt-disp (concat " " (propertize "_" 'display "foobar") " "))
      (ov (make-overlay (point-min) (point-max))))
  (overlay-put ov 'before-string
               (propertize txt-disp 'face
                           `(:weight bold :foreground "red"
                                     :background "yellow"))))

;; To remove the overlay call `delete-all-overlays`.

After executing the above " foobar " should appear at the beginning of
buffer with red foreground and yellow background.  But the "foobar" part
doesn't use any color (i.e uses the face of the real text at the
beginning of buffer).  This doesn't happen when the text is inserted.
Is it a bug?

--
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5