Re: gmail+SMTP(only) (oauth2)

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: gmail+SMTP(only) (oauth2)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 15:01:55 +0200

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> My recollection is that when Google originally announced the intended
> changes (back in 2017 or 2018), they indicated they would be removing
> app passwords. However, when I go through their current announcements
> and documentation on their support site, I cannot find any mention of
> removing them. Furthermore, much of their documentation appears to have
> been updated to state that app passwords are the preferred solution for
> clients who cannot do oauth2/2FA. My guess is that there was sufficient
> push-back after the original announcement that they reviewed their
> proposal and are going to leave app passwords in place for the time
> being. Even if they do decide to remove them, I would expect they will
> give a fairly lengthy notice period (It has been 4+ years since they
> flagged the removal of being able to use your normal google password).

Aha, thanks, htat is helpful, and good to know.

> I would just use app passwords and wait to see what happens. A lot can
> change in a couple of years.

Right.

> That might help if the initial sending SMTP server is on your machine
> and it is registered in the global DNS (not just an internal only DNS).
> It means your machine has a real IP address (not a non-routed address
> like 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* etc).
[Snip]...

> One of the reasons this is so hard to work out is because there are just
> so many different options and moving parts and the constant need to
> evolve and adapt anti-spam measures as the spammers find new loopholes
> and ways to circumvent spam prevention. I suspect it is one reason many
> organisations have decided to adopt an external service provider and
> drop in-house SMTP services.

Right, that makes sense. I am now convinced that this idea of using my
own SMTP server will fail and I will therefore give the app-password a
try.

Thanks for you detailed explanation.

Uwe

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.