Re: pixel scroll vs. osm

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: pixel scroll vs. osm
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 02:18:43 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> It is impossible to change pixel-scroll-precision to work from one of
> the mwheel scrolling functions, so the solution is for osm.el to bind
> its commands functions to `wheel-up' and `wheel-down' directly.
>
> Doing so will also provide the necessary information for "pixel-wise"
> zooming.

One unpleasant side effect of that is the fact that
`mwheel-scroll-up-function' and `mwheel-scroll-down-function' are
bypassed, and their values don't reflect the scrolling behavior.

I guess, if these variables can't carry the commands that will likely be
used to scroll with the mouse in future Emacsen by lots of users, their
semantics should either be enhanced or they should be removed.

Michael.