Splitting some erc tests

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Splitting some erc tests
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 21:11:35 +0200

Some of the erc test files have a lot more tests than others, or have a
lot of tests that take a bit of time.  For instance, doing comp-tests
takes 40 seconds on my build machine, and tramp takes 30 seconds.  But
here's the thing: All the other tests, in total, clock in at under 20
seconds, because the machine has a lot of CPUs, and those other bits run
in parallel.

So I wondered -- has anybody given any thought to "internal" parallelism
in (some) test files?  We obviously don't want to rearrange the test
files themselves, but perhaps there's something simple we could do here.

Like...  have a SELECTOR that says "run the Xth 20% of the tests",
perhaps?  And then we can fire off 5 Emacsen to do 20% each.

The tests are supposed to be independent of each other, but are they
always in practice?