Re: What to do about unmaintained ELPA packages

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What to do about unmaintained ELPA packages
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 08:33:13 -0400

> Yeah, we can fix GNU ELPA packages, since those are part of Emacs.
> But what about NonGNU ELPA packages?

Actually, for the majority of packages, there is virtually no difference
between GNU and NonGNU in this respect: their official development takes
place elsewhere but we have our own branch in elpa.git/nongnu.git where
we can install any changes we may want.

And in both cases, installing changes on our own branch means that the
development has diverged ("forked"), which will spell pain in the future
if/when upstream's development continues.

IOW: we can do it, but there are strong motivations to refrain from
doing it.

        Stefan