Re: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 18:16:28 +0200

Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:

> A few thoughts I just had while looking over the recent improvement to
> bookmark.el sorting (commit f461eb8fa -- not the later followup commit
> fccde52158, which isn't relevant for these thoughts):

Hi Karl and thanks for your time on this,

[...]

>   The simple solution would be to just change the symbol to
>   `last-set-date'.  I think that would be my choice.  It would
>   reduce the potential for confusion and misunderstanding.

Yes, I forgot about annotations so I think `last-set-date' would be
better. I could prepare this simple patch.

[...]

> * Now that we're using a symbol for *one* possible value of
>   `bookmark-sort-flag', should we use symbols for *all* possible
>   values?  (And leave the treatments of `t' and nil as legacy
>   compatibility behaviors, documented as such but deprecated in
>   favor of using the corresponding new symbols instead when   writing
>  new configurations.)

Why not... but we have to settle for good symbol names. I propose
'last-created (as nil) and 'alphabetical (as t).

[...]

>  However, I think it would be good to deprecate   `bookmark-sort-flag'
>  in favor of 'bookmark-sort-behavior' or   something, and do whatever
>  the usual compatibility dance is for   such situations.  It's useful
>  for the suffix "-flag" to actually   mean something, and I'd rather
>  not have bookmark.el contribute   to the dilution of that linguistic
> tradition.

That also makes sense but I prefer `bookmark-sort'. Also, I don't know
how to deprecate a custom in emacs.

Best regards,
--
Manuel Giraud