Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 20:39:03 -0700

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> This last point also raises a question. Can Elisp interpreter and
>>> libraries be factored out of Emacs to create a way to execute Elisp
>>> programs without installing all the interactive parts of Emacs?
>>
>> Isn't Tim Cross(?) working on something like that -- ie. a parser for
>> the Org language.  Once we have a solid parser, we can build a standard
>> (set of?) backend(s) for much of Orgmode.
>
> Org already have a parser. Written in Elisp. Export is built on top of
> the parser.

But Elisp is not portable to a non-Emacs system (say, iPhone).  In the
long run, it would be better to define a "parseable" language as the
standard basis for Org.  From that, people can develop (parts of) Org on
other platforms (Vim, Beorg, Orgzly) and test/prove that they are
compatible with version X of the language.  I think Organice was doing
this, but I haven't looked at it deeply.

Oh, but I see your point about "export". By backend, I was assuming a
true parser would generate a standard "internal" language which could be
fed into simpler backends to actually do the work.  The front-end parser
and back-ends could be translated/rebuilt as needed on new platorms
(iOS, Android, MS-Windows, etc.).  More is needed than this, but that's
the idea.

--
David Masterson