Re: Larger GC thresholds for non-interactive Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Larger GC thresholds for non-interactive Emacs
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 17:03:35 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Can't the past discussions be directly updated by sending an extra email
>> that links back to the new commit?
>
> You mean, rely on search engines to find an addition to a discussion
> made many years later?  My experience with searching the archives is
> that it many times fails when the discussion crosses the year mark.
> For starters, display of the archives by thread doesn't work in that
> case as expected: you are given the illusion that the thread ends.

Are you referring to lists.gnu.org thread display interface?
If it is as buggy as you are describing, why don't you file a bug
report the relevant ML and get the problem fixed?

There are alternatives. I personally prefer to search using local
maildir copy via notmuch. I believe that gnus should also be able to
search across the maildir.

Also, there is https://yhetil.org/ with somewhat better search and
display interface (IMHO). See
https://yhetil.org/emacs-devel/_/text/help/

> Searching the archives also has the disadvantage that in many cases
> it's hard to know what are the keywords that would find the discussion
> efficiently (i.e. without drowning it in thousands of irrelevant
> messages).

When I was saying "links back to the new commit", I was referring to the
unique commit number. Searching exact match will not give false
positives then.

Best,
Ihor