Re: Optimizing performance of buffer markers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Optimizing performance of buffer markers
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 04:29:08 -0400

> AFAIK, the most natural data structure to search for data
> before/after given key is a binary tree. There are more exotic data
> structures, like skip list, but I do not expect skip lists to be
> implemented in Emacs C code.

BTW, most markers are actually part of overlays.  And Andreas Politz
implemented an AA-tree based representation of overlays for Emacs (see
the branch `feature/noverlay`).

So if you have performance problems due to overlays, you might want to
check the branch, make sure it solves the problem, and see if you can
get it merged once and for all into `master`.

        Stefan