Re: Docstring hack

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Docstring hack
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 15:24:13 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> OK, but I still lack some glue to understand the issue.  Specifically:
>
>   . the OP said "strings that are erroneously treated as docstrings in
>     dump mode" -- where's the code which makes that mistake, and how
>     is read_literal_string related to that mistake?

He's referring to this part of lread.c:

  /* If purifying, and string starts with \ newline,
     return zero instead.  This is for doc strings
     that we are really going to find in etc/DOC.nn.nn.  */
  if (!NILP (Vpurify_flag) && NILP (Vdoc_file_name) && cancel)
    {
      unbind_to (count, Qnil);
      return make_fixnum (0);
    }

>   . why isn't there an alternative to fix read_literal_string not to
>     generate zero instead of the format template? the other
>     alternatives all look like partial kludges to me

I can't answer this question, sorry.  You'll have to ask the OP.