Re: Loading tramp for dump goes into infinite regress

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Loading tramp for dump goes into infinite regress
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 15:22:01 +0300

> From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 05:58:17 -0400
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>,
>       emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> I found the problem - when I run make in the src directory, the variables for
> the ELN and bin destinations are
> blank, which causes the code in loadup that is supposed to make the
> compilation unit names into pairs to
> not bother.
> Maybe these two variables should get constructed in src/Makefile.in?  Running
> make from the src directory
> shouldn't result in an unusable dump file.

Why are you running "make" only in 'src'?  Some necessary parts of the
build must also run "make" in 'lisp' and in other places.

In any case, these variables cannot be defined _only_ in src/Makefile,
but we could perhaps copy the definition from the top-level
Makefile.in to src/Makefile.in.

> I'd probably make the code in loadup either throw an error or come up with
> some reasonable default.  If you
> insist on having the final installation specified, then it should just error
> during the build instead of producing a
> dump guaranteed to fail when loaded.  Otherwise, either use some dummy values
> or just treat the build
> directory as the install directory.

The final installation _must_ be specified, yes.  Using the build
directory won't help because Emacs already does that internally.  IOW,
it only needs help in knowing where the stuff _will_ be installed.