Re: Speedup of display of long and truncated lines

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Speedup of display of long and truncated lines
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 16:42:32 +0300

> Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 17:10:44 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> I've installed a few changes intended to speed up redisplay of buffers
> with long lines when lines are truncated.  This is WIP.  With the
> changes I installed, navigation via C-f/C-b should be much faster, and
> likewise C-e and C-a (although C-a still has one problem I see that
> needs to be fixed).  Vertical cursor motion commands (C-n/C-p) are
> still slow and need to be sped up; that's on my TODO.

Vertical cursor motion commands have been sped up now.  If someone
sees cases of unreasonably slow vertical cursor motion, please report
them as bugs (and please tell how much time they took, so we could be
sure that our notions of "unreasonably slow" are similar ;-).

'recenter' was also sped up, which should make M-> faster, especially
when lines are truncated.

C-v/M-v are next.