Re: locked narrowing in ELisp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: locked narrowing in ELisp
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 03:59:14 +0300

On 19.08.2022 09:31, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

The redisplay could repeat the trick I showed with Isearch and wrap most
of its logic in (with-soft-narrow ...) -- which translates the soft
narrowing into an actual one temporarily. Then the 'invisible' property
won't even be required.

I think you still underestimate the magnitude of the problem and its
fundamental nature.  The display engine is not a closed subsystem, it
uses a huge number of Emacs infrastructure code from other subsystems:
buffers, text properties, overlays, markers, character composition,
regular expressions, direct access to buffer text, etc.  All of those
places are also used from other commands and functions, outside of
redisplay.  You cannot "wrap [their] logic in (with-soft-narrow ...)",
because their logic is used in many more use cases, and there's no way
such low-level code can distinguish between the cases, nor should it
(because it will make it too slow).

Naturally, some uses of 'goto-char' (for example) need to obey the narrowing applied by the user, and some -- do not. That's the situation today, and that's not going to change.

The question is, would "do not obey" work as a good default.

That would mean all of the commands.  A lot of changes (or a lot of
breakage).  It doesn't sound like a good solution, at least not better
than just biting the bullet and introducing 2 different kinds of
narrowing with some ways of telling Emacs internals which of the two
to obey at any particular moment.

Two kinds of narrowings is inherently a more complex solution.

Some problems don't have simple solutions.  The narrowing is a very
fundamental feature in Emacs, it permeates all of our code to the
lowest levels.  Such fundamental features cannot be side-stepped by
tricks and hacks.  The change must be in those same basic levels.

I think we're talking about two very similar things here, just looking at them from different angles.

But if we were going to separate user-level narrowing from "real" narrowing, the result should look (at least at the surface) like the patch I posted, and it should face the same problems: how to decide which commands should obey user-level locking, and how to minimize the number of functions we'll have to alter to support it explicitly.

(The latter is actually the tricky
part, IMO.)

If we just make the "locking" feature to be accessible to Lisp, the
majority of the code shouldn't care or be aware of it. Just some
particular features/functions/packages will make use of the locking
argument, limiting the 'widen' calls in the rest of the Emacs from
widening past the locked region.

I'm not talking about locking!  I'm talking about the basic
requirement to distinguish between "user-level" narrowing and the
other kind.  How do you tell the low-level stuff, such as
set_marker_restricted, which of the two narrowing kinds to apply?

The solution I picked is this: lower-level code only obeys the "real" narrowing. Perhaps the redisplay loop sprinkles in a bit of support for "user-level" narrowing by temporarily applying the "real" narrowing around the whole main logic when such "user-level" narrowing is present (using its bounds).

As a result, with very rare exceptions (Info-mode, maybe), the only kind of "persistent" narrowing would be the "user-level" one, but every command (or function, or form) will have the freedom to translate it into the "real" one for the duration of its execution. The "real" narrowing would be thus relegated to lower-level uses, and not as a user's tool.

That function is used from every place where we set window-point and
window-start positions (as well as many others), so almost any code
that wants to move one of those will eventually call it.  Commands do
that, but redisplay and other places do it as well.

This is the tricky part of introducing two kinds of narrowing; the
rest is very simple and basically mechanical.

Making a specific command ignore narrowing is easy.  Your proposal
implicitly assumes that the number of commands that want to ignore
narrowing is much larger than the other kind.

That is indeed the key assumption. I'm inclined to believe that not only
it is larger, but that the set of commands that should ignore user-level
narrowing also grows faster.

What about commands that apply narrowing as part of their internal
operation -- is that "user-level" narrowing or the other kind?  E.g.,
some/many commands that operate on the region when it's active begin
by narrowing to that region -- which kind is that?

It's the other kind, the "real" one.

Sometime later, new functions might crop up (probably in third-party code) that decide to alter the user-level narrowing temporarily instead because they know which of their callees obey user-level narrowing and which do not, and decide to benefit from that distinction. But that approach should remain rare.

With that in mind, creating any precise statistics doesn't seem
possible, even if one decides to try.

If that's so, then any assumptions about which set is significantly
larger cannot be safely made, either.  We should proceed without any
such assumption, i.e. without adopting any solutions which would be
based on such assumptions and will break if the assumptions are proved
false.

We could try to make such analysis anyway, just remain aware that the difference might be larger (in one particular direction).

If we just have to adopt a solution which goes against the assumption I made, well, then, the approach probably won't work.

On the flip side, though, it doesn't seem like diff-hl needs any support
for user-level narrowing (ignoring it is fine), and company-mode "just
worked" when I tested it with soft-narrow-to-region.

Same goes for all other packages I maintain.

IME, it is not a good idea to base such fundamental design decisions
on a couple of user commands and their needs.

Several fairly high-profile packages are not "a couple of user commands". But it's not the whole ecosystem, sure.

Moreover,
I think it might make sense for some commands to honor or ignore the
narrowing depending on the use case, and that is not solved with your
proposal.

Doesn't seem difficult:

(if something
      (with-soft-narrow
       do-the-thing)
    do-the-thing)

or without the macro:

(save-restriction
    (when something
      (let ((bounds (soft-narrow-bounds)))
        (and bounds
             (narrow-to-region (car bounds) (cdr bounds)))))
    do-the-thing)

We are mis-communicating: the problem is not how to use basic
conditionals in Emacs Lisp, the problem is how you design and
implement that "something", such that we won't need to rewrite every
single command out there.

I considered which commands should be affected the most: they have to be those that act on and affect the part of the buffer that the user sees. The user shouldn't be able to modify the text they don't see (1), nor (probably) have that text affect the commands they are calling (2).

The (1) is implemented by adding the 'read-only' property to the overlays which apply the user-level narrowing. It leaves the possibilities of the user being able to jump before the first overlay (to bob) or after the last, and insert something there. That seems to be mostly handled using the FRONT-ADVANCE and REAR-ADVANCE arguments, as well as modification-hooks. But there are other options like post-command-hook, or making the overlays longer than 0 chars.

As for (2), though, we can't tell that in advance for each command, and most have to choose case-by-case. But Stefan gave a good example of when we *do* know: when the command does something with the region. The user cannot tell the region spans beyond the accessible/visible part of the buffer.

So the way to "fix" a lot of them together is to make sure the region cannot span beyond the user-level narrowing currently applied. How to do that? Either we have to change all of the commands which change the region, or alter 'set-mark' (which might be a fairly invasive change, stopping certain code from working), or perform the adjustments in post-command-hook: after every command, see if the region spans beyond the user-level narrowing, and adjust either or both of its bounds if needed.