Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 15:35:32 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,  gerd.moellmann@gmail.com,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  luangruo@yahoo.com
> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 08:16:59 -0400
>
> > I think a variable should be fine, as this is mainly of interest for
> > people who bootstrap a lot.
>
> I don't see any need for a variable.  Those who want the `config.cache`
> to be removed can either refrain from using one in the first place, or
> remove it by hand.
> This file is only used/generated upon explicit request.

I think "make distclean" ought to remove the cache, and bootstrap
invokes that, either directly or indirectly.  So if we want to avoid
deleting the cache during bootstrap, we'd need to make it independent
of distclean.

And I'm not sure people who bootstrap won't be surprised by such a
change (but then I almost never bootstrap).

So, all in all, I think Lars's proposal is safer.