Re: master df8e705eb2 1/2: Don't refer to Emacs 24.3 or older in FAQ

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master df8e705eb2 1/2: Don't refer to Emacs 24.3 or older in FAQ
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 20:24:38 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What would be the reason to remove references to old Emacs versions
> from the FAQ?  I'm thinking maybe we should simply exempt the FAQ from
> this process, which is, of course, perfectly valid for the other
> documentation.

The purpose is mostly just to make the text easier to read, and to make
it not look outdated.  For example, references to this new cool feature
in Emacs 21 is not likely to be very relevant or helpful in 2022.

But you may be right in general.  Maybe we should really just delete the
absolutely antique stuff.

> The FAQ is supposed to be a place where people could look for
> information like "since when does Emacs do this-and-that?".

I was thinking also in terms of confused newcomers, who might be
overwhelmed by secondary details.  (As in: "Wait, which version of Emacs
am I using?  Is it Emacs 22 or newer?")