Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 16:07:54 +0000

Okay. Do you perhaps have a recipe with which I could check that it's indeed the case?

Start Info in a new session and see how much it takes. Compare the times on the release branch and on master (the change was installed on the branch and was not yet merged to master).

There is no visible difference here, starting Info takes ~60 ms with and without the patch.

It's unclear to me what problem the patch is fixing.

It fixes the problem of the Linux console, which is unable to display the non-ASCII symbols used by Texinfo although terminal-coding-system is UTF-8. For the list of the symbols, see info-symbols-and-replacements.

Thanks, I see curly quotes and quotation marks inside Info with the patch, so it works as expected.