Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a pa

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 4803fba487 1/2: 'C-x v v' on a diff buffer commits it as a patch (bug#52349)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:01:04 +0300

> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 15:35:31 +0300
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, juri@jurta.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>
> >> Note that "the patch" will usually be a subset of the current 'git diff'
> >> output. But not always (the patch can be additionally modified by hand).
> >
> > I understand.  But how is this significant?  Doesn't "git apply"
> > require a valid patch as well?
>
> It's significant in that the starting conditions is that the files are
> already modified compared to the repository head, and the end goal is to
> be able to pick only some of those changes for commit.

Ouch!  Then this feature will be useless for me, and I'm sorry I
wasted everyone's time based on the description in NEWS, which doesn't
make a point of emphasizing this basic assumption.

> OTOH, the lack of support for workflow corresponding to 'git add -p' has
> been complained about frequently, it's one of the reasons people use
> Magit, and I felt it as well many times.

I cannot agree that this feature is a reasonable solution for the
"git add -p" workflow.  It is not interactive enough for that.