Re: Magit

From: Payas Relekar
Subject: Re: Magit
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 20:05:36 +0530

> Akib Azmain Turja [2022-09-03 12:29:08] wrote:
>> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>>> What is the situation with preparing to include Magit in Emacs?
>>
>> I don't think that will ever happen.  Magit has many contributors, and
>> many of them hasn't completed the paperwork.  So including Magit in
>> Emacs would be pretty hard (if possible)?
>
> Actually, in a sense it's pretty easy: just make an exception for the
> rule that all code needs to have its copyright assigned to the FSF.
>
> Whether we want to make such an exception here of course is
> another question.
>
> But even if we do make such an exception, having a copy of Magit in
> `emacs.git` would add extra maintenance burden to keep that copy in sync
> with the one maintained elsewhere.  So for administrative reasons, it's
> probably preferable to keep it outside of `emacs.git`.

For what its worth, my 2c:

Magit is one of the _killer apps_ of Emacs. I was drawn by allure of
org-mode, but was hooked in with magit. I have ready fair number of
anecdotes with similar story and perhaps another equal number who use
Emacs exclusively for magit.

I am also not alone to say magit is the best git user interface in
existence, for many reasons, one of them being it uses Git's own idioms
and does not invent its own terminology like many others.

If maintaining org-mode outside Emacs and regularly merging it has been
managed so far, I am fairly certain it can be done with magit too. I am
fairly noob, but will be willing to take on the task to do it for magit
should it be included in core.

As for copyright, there are better people to discuss and resolve that
matter.

Regards,
Payas