Re: [External] : Re: master 513c5d827d: Use `format-prompt' in

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: master 513c5d827d: Use `format-prompt' in
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 16:02:36 +0000

My admittedly not well-calibrated lisp tasteʼoʼmeter doesnʼt find

(format-prompt "Prompt" nil :default "all")

all that appealing either

<Shrug> Then I hope someone will come up with a better idea.

My point is that using format-prompt obfuscates the code to some degree, and we should try to find a way of avoiding that, while keeping its advantages.

FWIW, I'm not sure using minibuffer-default-prompt-format is optimal in this specific case. Before the change the prompt said:

Character (Unicode name or hex, default all):

Now it says:

Unicode name, single char, or hex (default all):

or, with minibuffer-default-prompt-format set to "":

Unicode name, single char, or hex:

IMO, the original prompt was much clearer, and I don't think those who customized minibuffer-default-prompt-format would have protested that this specific prompt does not obey their customization: "Unicode name or hex, default all" is an explanation about the kind of input that is expected, like the one we have for C-x 8 RET, which says:

Insert character (Unicode name or hex):